Thursday, March 23, 2006

Tree Frame

Tree Frame - Paris - Feb 2005
Today's shot was taken in Paris in February 2005 - The Wife had taken me there for the day as a Christmas present. The day was very hazy, overcast and cold...it looked like most of the picture taking was going to be a complete bust. In fact, I took a fair few shots that day, although most are definitely in the realm of record shots or holiday snaps. When we were walking along the Seine, I saw this fella standing under this tree over the other side of the river - I couldn't resist the shot and as it turns out the framing couldn't have been a lot better. I've tried several crops of this one, going in much tighter on the tree or relocating the focus of the frame, but I think the original is still the strongest. With the man slap bang in the middle of the frame, the tree provides a frame for him, the wall a frame to the tree, and the river and buildings add a further frame and some context.
The colour on this one is interesting...the light was weak and hazy and lazy that day, so there's not a lot of colour in the shot. Occasionally I try a black and white treatment, but have yet to find one that I'm happy with - maybe I need to find a Photoshop filter that looks like Ilford Delta 3200....if ever there's a case for football-sized grain on a shot, this is it! Anyway, if I manage a nice B&W version I'll post it up here for ya....!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home